Peruse upcoming readings, workshops, and literary events Blue Cactus Press and its conspirators are involved with below.
Join BCP for a workshop exploring the art of lying in poetry, facilitated by Tacoma poet and educator Michael Haeflinger. We will look at instances of hyperbole and interpretation, but also at examples of flat-out making stuff up in service of a great poetic Truth. Our workshop will look at poems by Wisława Szymborska, Ulrich Berkes, Nikki Giovanni, and Jim Harrison, and make space to write a draft of a poem that examines notions of truth and fiction. The workshop will be held on May 20, 2021, from 6:00 – 7:15 PM (PST), via Zoom.
BONUS: Participants will receive a FREE copy of Haeflinger’s poetry collection, Low Static Rage, upon workshop registration!
For more details on the workshop and the workshop facilitator, or to reserve a seat in the workshop, please visit the “Lie Your Ass Off” workshop page, here.
A few notes:
- This is a one-hour, virtual workshop held on Thursday, 17 June, 7PM (PST) / Friday, 18 June, 11AM (SGT).
- Participants will need to bring a poem to the workshop and may be asked to submit their poem ahead of the session.
- This workshop is free to attend, but registration is required.
- Workshop capacity is limited to twenty participants.
- This workshop will be streamed on Facebook Live and made available after the session on Facebook and the Blue Cactus Press website for promotional and publicity purposes. If you are not comfortable having yourself recorded, please switch off your video during the workshop.
- Esther Vincent Xueming’s debut poetry collection, Red Earth, is forthcoming from Blue Cactus Press in Fall 2021.