Your cart is currently empty!
Magical Realist Eco-Fiction Anthology
We are currently taking submissions for a magical realist eco-fiction anthology centered on finding and examining “the sublime” and “the unknown” within our daily lives, and/or addressing the ways in which we interact with them.
We’re looking for eco-poetic prose musings, fantastical short stories, and fictionalized memoirs that lead readers to reconsider the spaces – both natural and manufactured – we encounter and reside in.
- Submissions open until February 1st, 2023.
- 4,000 words maximum per story, and up to two stories allowed per submitter.
- We will pay submitters $50/story for accepted work.
Submit work by emailing email@example.com. Label your submissions as follows in the subject line: Sublime_[Title]_[Last Name]. Do not include your writing in the body of the email. Include it as an attachment in .pdf, .doc, or .docx format.
We’re accepting rolling submissions for full-length manuscripts by women, transgender and gender-nonconforming People of Color in the Pacific Northwest. We’re primarily interested in non-fiction works, including poetry, but will consider fiction if the content is in conversation with other works from our catalog. We’re particularly interested in works related to:
- Regional/cultural history from non-dominant cultural perspectives
- Chicano/a voices and experiences
- Queer parenting / birthwork
- Death Doulas
- Immigration / Deportation
- Non-traditional romance
Please include a cover letter with your manuscript addressing the following:
- How your work connects to our mission statement and engages in conversation with other works from our catalog
- Recurring themes in your manuscript
- What you hope to accomplish via publication
Send your cover letter and manuscript to bluecactuspress (at) gmail (dot) com. Manuscripts should be sent in Microsoft word (.doc or .docx) format, in 12 point, Times New Roman font. For prose, please ensure your work is double-spaced. For poetry, please send your work spaced/placed as it is intended to be read on the page.
Submitted manuscripts will be considered for 2023 and 2024 publication. We will try our best to personally respond to your submission within three months of receiving your work. However, depending on the volume of submissions, we may not be able to.
If you are not a woman, transgender and gender-nonconforming person of color, we will not read or respond to your submission. We value and respect a diversity of voices in our community, however, we are intent on building spaces and dialogue in which marginalized voices are centered.